Recreational gaming activity (commercial)

Learn how to apply for a commercial recreational gaming activity permit, including applications, and training information.

Who can apply for a recreational gaming activity (RGA) permit

If you are a commercial business and have been in existence for at least 6 months, you may apply for a permit to conduct recreational gaming activities.

RGA permit not needed in certain circumstances

Your organization may sponsor and contract with a licensed equipment distributor and have the distributor conduct the RGA for you. You will NOT need an RGA permit because the distributor is licensed.

Your organization may conduct the RGA and use non-professional homemade devices. You will NOT need an RGA permit, nor need to notify our agency, but you must notify your local law enforcement agency.

About RGAs

Visit the Washington State Legislature site to see all the rule that governs RGAs (

An RGA is:

  • A nongambling activity, using poker tables and gambling equipment authorized for use in fund-raising events
  • Conducted no more than 2 times per calendar year
  • Conducted by, or on behalf of, a sponsoring organization, business, or association, or department of an organization, business, or association.

An organization, business, or association, or department of an organization, business, or association, that holds or sponsors an RGA must either:

  • Apply for and get a permit before the event
  • Hire a licensed fund-raising equipment distributor to organize and conduct the activity.


Only members and guests of the sponsoring organization, business, or association, or department of the sponsoring organization, business, or association, may participate in the RGA.

Permit holders must:

  • Rent the gambling equipment used in the RGA from:
    • A licensed distributor of fund-raising event equipment
    • A licensee who has conducted a fund-raising event within the last 12 months
  • Use scrip or chips which have no cash value
  • Limit the RGA to 8 hours.

Charging fees

The permit holder may charge a fee to enter the premises if that fee pays for:

  • An accompanying meal and entertainment associated with the RGA
  • The costs of renting the equipment used in the RGA.


All prizes must be donated to, or provided by, the permit holder.

The permit holder may allow participants to:

  • Redeem their scrip or chips for prizes
  • Trade scrip or chips for tickets which are then drawn to determine the prize winners.

How to apply

In addition to all the materials outlined in our licensing process, the complete application includes:

For an example, see model for Recreational Gaming Activity Permit (PDF, 225 KB)

If applying online

RGA permit applications are available online. You must have a SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account with Washington State Gambling Commission's MyAccount services to submit your application.

Learn how to register for SAW

If applying by mail

If you're applying by mail, make sure you use the correct address based on the carrier you're using.

For US Mail (No UPS or FedEx)

Washington State Gambling Commission
PO Box 42400
Olympia WA 98504-2400

For UPS, FedEx, and overnight packages

Washington State Gambling Commission
4565 7th Avenue SE
Lacey WA 98503

Required training

After we grant your permit, you have 30 days to complete your required training:

    Renewing your permit

    RGA permits are not renewable. You must apply for a permit for each event you want to hold.

    Reporting changes to your permit

    There are certain changes you must tell us about. Learn how to report changes to your license.