Raffles, excluding electronic and enhanced (charitable or nonprofit)

Learn who can offer unlicensed and licensed raffle activities, including applications, training information, recordkeeping requirements, and helpful rules.

Who can apply for a raffle license

Only a bona fide charitable or nonprofit organization with a purpose that meets certain criteria is allowed to conduct raffles in Washington. The organization must be organized and continuously operating for at least 12 months before applying for a raffle license.

See helpful information about who can offer raffles and how to operate them.

Learn more about our licensing requirements for charitable or nonprofit organizations.

About raffles

Visit the Washington State Legislature site to see all the rules that govern raffles (apps.leg.wa.gov).

A "raffle" is a game in which:

  • Tickets bearing an individual number are sold for not more than $100 each
  • Prize or prizes are awarded on the basis of a drawing from the tickets by the person or persons conducting the game
  • No person other than a bona fide member of the organization takes any part in the management or operation of the game
  • No part of the proceeds can benefit any person other than the organization conducting the game.

How to apply

In addition to all the materials outlined in our licensing process, the complete application includes:

Current licensees: Add raffles to your existing gambling license

If you already have an active gambling license with us and would like to add raffles as a new activity, complete the "Add an Activity" application.

Raffle - Add an Activity to Charitable / Nonprofit Organization Application Packet (PDF, 500 KB)

Applying online

Raffle applications are available online. You must have a SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account with Washington State Gambling Commission's MyAccount services to submit your application.

If you don't have a SAW account, learn how to register for SAW.

Applying by mail

If you're applying by mail, make sure you use the correct address based on the carrier you're using:

For US Mail (No UPS or FedEx)

Washington State Gambling Commission
PO Box 42400
Olympia WA 98504-2400

For UPS, FedEx, and overnight packages

Washington State Gambling Commission
4565 7th Avenue SE
Lacey WA 98503

Required training

After we grant your license, you have 30 days to complete your required training:

Highest-ranking officer

In addition to the above training for your activity, you must also review the following:

Required recordkeeping

You must:

  • Keep records to provide in case we audit your business
  • Complete the records within 30 days of the last day of each month, every month.

Use this Raffle Recordkeeping Packet (PDF, 250 KB) to help you keep records that meet our standards.

Retaining your records

If you are a licensed raffle, you must retain the records for 3 years from the end of your fiscal year.

If you are an unlicensed raffle, you must retain the records for 1 year following the date of the raffle.

Renewing your license

Licenses expire each year. Learn more about how to renew your license.

Reporting changes to your license

There are certain changes you must tell us about. Learn how to report changes to your license.

Helpful rules

Read helpful “House Rules” for raffles (PDF, 25 KB)

Learn who qualifies as a bona fide charitable or nonprofit organization (app.leg.wa.gov)

Learn when no license is required for bingo, raffles, and amusement games (app.leg.wa.gov)