Card games (charitable or nonprofit)

Learn what you need to offer charitable or nonprofit card games, including applications, training information, and recordkeeping requirements.

Who can apply for a card game license

If you are a bona fide charitable or nonprofit organization, you may offer social card games in certain circumstances. You may not operate more than 15 card tables.

Learn more about our licensing requirements for charitable or nonprofit organizations.

About card games

Visit the Washington State Legislature site to see all the rules that govern card games (

Nonhouse-banked card games

  • Offer for play authorized nonhouse-banked card games, such as poker
  • You may offer card games with or without a fee
  • Conduct approved tournaments.

Nonhouse-banked card games - Class F endorsement

  • Offer for play authorized nonhouse-banked card games
  • You may offer card games with or without a fee
  • Conduct approved tournaments
  • Authorized alternative fee collections
  • Player-supported jackpots.

House-banked card games

  • Offer for play authorized house-banked card games
  • With this license, you may also:
    • Offer for play nonhouse-banked card games
    • Conduct approved tournaments
    • Offer player-supported jackpots
    • Use alternative fee collection.

How to apply

In addition to all the materials outlined in our licensing process, the complete application includes:

Current licensees: Add card games to your existing gambling license

If you already have an active gambling license with us and would like to add card games as a new activity, complete the "Add an Activity" application.

Card Games - Add an Activity to Charitable / Nonprofit Organization Application Packet (PDF, 900 KB)

If applying by mail

If you're applying by mail, make sure you use the correct address based on the carrier you're using.

For US Mail (No UPS or FedEx)

Washington State Gambling Commission
PO Box 42400
Olympia WA 98504-2400

For UPS, FedEx, and overnight packages

Washington State Gambling Commission
4565 7th Avenue SE
Lacey WA 98503

Required training

After we grant your license, you have 30 days to complete your required training:

Social card room

Highest-ranking officer

In addition to the above training for your activity, you must also review the following:

Required recordkeeping

You must:

  • Keep records to provide in case we audit your business
  • Complete the records within 15 days of the last day of each month, every month.

Use these to help you keep records that meet our standards:

Retaining your records

You must retain the records for 3 years from the end of your fiscal year.

    Renewing your license

    Licenses expire each year. Learn more about how to renew your license.

    Reporting changes to your license

    There are certain changes you must tell us about. Learn how to report changes to your license.

    Helpful rules

    Learn who qualifies as a bona fide charitable or nonprofit organization (

    Learn what additional information is required for a house-banked card room application (

    Learn about authorized fees and authorized methods of collection (