Amusement games (charitable or nonprofit)

Learn who can offer charitable or nonprofit amusement games, including applications, training information, and recordkeeping requirements.

Who can apply for a charitable or nonprofit amusement game license

If you are a bona fide charitable or nonprofit organization, you may offer unlicensed amusement games in certain circumstances, and may also apply to offer licensed amusement games.

Learn more about our licensing requirements for charitable or nonprofit organizations.

    About amusement games

    Visit the Washington State Legislature site to see all the rules that govern amusement games (

    "Amusement game" means a game played for entertainment in which:

    • The contestant actively participates
    • The outcome depends in a material degree upon the skill of the contestant
    • Only merchandise prizes are awarded
    • The outcome is not in the control of the operator
    • The wagers are placed, the winners are determined, and a distribution of prizes or property is made in the presence of all persons placing wagers at such game
    • Cake walks and fish ponds are considered amusement games
    • The game is conducted or operated by any agricultural fair, person, or association at authorized locations.

    Unlicensed amusement games

    You may offer a maximum of 2 unlicensed raffle, bingo, or amusement game events per calendar year. You may offer 1 of different types of activities, but the total number of unlicensed events cannot exceed 2 for the year.

    • You may allow the public to participate in the activity, as well as members of your organization
    • Liquor and firearms must not be awarded as prizes
    • Records must be kept for 1 year
    • Notify local police at least 5 days in advance
    • Bingo and amusement games can be offered up to 12 consecutive days
    • Gross revenues (money taken in) to the organization from all the activities together do not exceed $5,000 during any calendar year.

    Licensed amusement games

    You must have a gambling license if:

    • You want to offer more than 2 public raffles, bingo, or amusement game events in a calendar year
    • The combined gross revenue from your 2 unlicensed public raffles, bingo, or amusement game events will exceed $5,000 in a calendar year.

    How to apply

    In addition to all the materials outlined in our licensing process, the complete application includes:

    Current licensees: Add amusement games to your existing gambling license

    If you already have an active gambling license with us and would like to add amusement games as a new activity, complete the "Add an Activity" application.

    Amusement Game - Add an Activity to Charitable / Nonprofit Organization Application Packet (PDF, 1.2 MB)

    If applying by mail

    If you're applying by mail, make sure you use the correct address based on the carrier you're using.

    For US Mail (No UPS or FedEx)

    Washington State Gambling Commission
    PO Box 42400
    Olympia WA 98504-2400

    For UPS, FedEx, and overnight packages

    Washington State Gambling Commission
    4565 7th Avenue SE
    Lacey WA 98503

    Required training

    After we grant your license, you have 30 days to complete your required training:

    Highest-Ranking Officer

    In addition to the above training for your activity, you must also review the following:

    Required recordkeeping

    You must:

    • Keep records to provide in case we audit your business
    • Complete the records within 30 days of the last day of each month, every month.

    Use these to help you keep records that meet our standards.

    Retaining your records

    You must retain the records for 3 years from the end of your fiscal year.

      Renewing your license

      Licenses expire each year. Learn more about how to renew your license.

      Reporting changes to your license

      There are certain changes you must tell us about. Learn how to report changes to your license.

      Helpful rules

      Learn who qualifies as a bona fide charitable or nonprofit organization (

      Learn when no license is required for bingo, raffles, and amusement games (