Illegal Internet Gambling
The Washington State Constitution (Article II Section 24) prohibits all gambling activities unless the activity is specifically authorized in State law. Internet gambling has never been authorized and is illegal in Washington State.
To further clarify this, in 2006, the Washington State Legislature amended RCW 9.46.240 to affirmatively state that Internet gambling is illegal in Washington State.
The penalty for transmitting gambling information was also increased from a gross misdemeanor to a class C felony.
It is illegal to:
- Operate an Internet gambling site.
- Gamble on the Internet.
- Install or maintain equipment to send or receive gambling information.
- Facilitate Internet gambling in any way.
Gambling Online is Risky
Unlike other licensed and regulated gambling activities, Internet gamblers don't know:
- Who is operating the gambling site;
- If the games are honest;
- If winnings will be paid;
- If the money wagered will be used for criminal purposes.
Players have no recourse if they are not paid or cheated.
Players put themselves at risk of credit card fraud, identity theft, or other financial crimes by disclosing information that should be kept secure.
Internet gambling creates an uncontrolled environment for problem gamblers and minors.
PDF files require the
free Adobe Reader.